Our team has a strong background in providing comprehensive legal services to the property sector. Our expertise covers the acquisition and disposal of retail, commercial and industrial properties, as well as the development of commercial and residential properties, including retail shopping centres, multi-level residential projects, hotels and business parks. We have particular knowledge of the due diligence required in these matters and also the commercial imperatives our clients wish to achieve.
Our team has extensive experience in the full range of issues that arise in property and development related transactions and disputes including:
- the acquisition and disposal of retail, commercial and industrial properties;
- the development of commercial and residential properties, including retail centres, multi-level residential projects;
- advising on and negotiating retail, commercial and industrial leasing;
- advising on and negotiating commercial and retail building construction contracts;
- negotiating joint venture and innovative funding agreements;
- negotiating management agreements with major operators;
- identifying options to better structure the sale and purchase of commercial, industrial and residential property;
- advising on financial transactions, including loan agreements, loan note instruments, mortgages and collateral securities;
- advising on issues related to planning law and environmental law; and
- providing due diligence services for property disposals and acquisitions.
Recent Work Highlights:
- acting for a regulated fund on its restructuring and subsequent refinancing of its various property assets;
- acting for a developer on the acquisition of multiple units and subsequent purchase of common areas to take full control of a retail business park;
- acting for a local authority on the acquisition of lands from NAMA for strategic development purposes;
- acting for an investor on the transfer of multiple properties from its various companies to an ICAV and dealing with title, regulatory and taxation requirements;
- acting for a domestic investor on the acquisition of a large scale city centre development site;
- acting for an investor on the acquisition of a business park with in excess of 70 occupiers and the ongoing management of lease terminations, renewals and re-lettings;
- acting for a regulated property fund on the acquisition and planning development of a multi-use retail and residential city centre site; and
- disposing of multiple-tenanted apartment blocks.
Corporate and Commercial
We have extensive expertise and experience in all aspects of corporate and commercial law. We provide companies with commercial and strategic legal advice ranging from assistance at an infancy/startup stage right through to a private trade sale. Our team works closely with company board members and management teams on a range of issues including corporate governance matters, structuring and restructuring, compliance, reporting and regulatory requirements. We also assist clients on contractual matters such as management and service contracts, as well as business and share sales and general corporate and commercial legal queries. We have a long association with the credit union movement. We have represented a broad range of credit unions – community and industrial, urban and rural, large and small, affiliated to a representative body or otherwise and we are at the forefront of developing strategies to respond constructively to new legislative and regulatory requirements.
Our corporate and commercial clients are a core part of our practice and our team advise them on a wide range of issues including:
- commercial agreements;
- corporate structures and restructuring;
- debt and equity financing;
- mergers, acquisitions and disposals;
- joint ventures, partnerships and co-ownership arrangements;
- the establishment of regulated funds;
- corporate governance advice;
- employment law advice;
- security review, perfection and enforcement;
- advice on credit union regulatory issues; and
- commercial disputes.
Recent Work Highlights:
- acting in the sale of an insurance brokerage;
- acting in the sale of a leading mechanical and electrical engineering business;
- acting in the purchase of a manufacturing supplier in the perishable food sector;
- providing due diligence and advisory services in respect of two recent credit union multi-party transfers of engagement;
- advising on the establishment of a regulated fund for investment to include social and other housing projects;
- representing a Norwegian bank in a multi-vessel shipping finance transaction;
- providing legal support to a board facilitating forensic accounting investigation into various irregularities and reporting to the Central Bank; and
- seeking injunctive relief on behalf of a local authority to restrain unlawful occupation of lands required for a new road construction.
We understand the need for legal advice which is tailored toward the individual and is both practical and discreet. Our team works with individuals, family groups, privately owned organisations and trustees on a range of legal issues. We advise in the areas of succession and estate planning, wills and estate administration, trusts, powers of attorney and estate and trust disputes. We work closely with all of our client’s trusted advisers to produce advice and legal solutions which take into account all aspects of their personal and business needs. Our advice always appreciates family dynamics, trusts or an organisation’s unique history, concerns and structure.
Recent Work Highlights:
- successful representation of claimant in a leading case relating to the disinheritance provisions of the Succession Act 1965;
- restructuring the property ownership affairs of a long-standing hospitality sector partnership;
- the purchase and sale of licensed premises;
- the sale of a privately owned city centre site with planning permission for a hotel development; and
- advising on the admission and retirement of partners from various professional practices.